When the winter arrives, people start thinking of various winter sports they could indulge themselves in. Ski pants serve as a critical barrier between the user and the elements, and there is a pair to fit every type of skier and their budget. Majority of the resort skiers go for classic hardshell ski pants with light insulation so as to stay warm in the snow. Whereas backcountry skiers have a lot of softshell and hybrid options so as to enjoy a range of motion in the wild and breathability.
We have listed some of the best ski pants for the winters and we hope our recommendation and the buying guide will help you in choosing the best ski pants for skiing this winter.
Best Ski Pants
Quick Answer: The 5 Best Ski Pants – 
- Spyder Men’s Troublemaker Pants
- Columbia Men’s Bugaboo II Pant
- SALOMON Men’s Chill Out Bib Pant
- Burton Men’s AK 2L Gore-Tex Swash Pant
- Helly Hansen Men’s Velocity Insulated Ski Winter Pant
Best Ski Pants Reviews
This is a durable ski pant with cargo pants along with the trusted warmth of 3M Thinsulate. It features an articulating knee construction and zippered hand pockets. It is a perfect pant for riding the pipes. Thee pant includes a number of technical solutions along with the best spyder design for the best take on the alpines. Some of the best features of the pants are scuff guards, thigh ventilation system, articulating knee construction, adjusting the waist, belt loops, cargo pocket, and hand pockets.
The pants are thin and protective. Their Thinsulate insulation is ideal to trap insulating air and reflects radiant body heat and delivers warmth that is twice greater than polyester insulations. Its proprietary hydrophobic finish repels snow and rain and also decreases dry time, keeping the user outside for a long time. Its proprietary ultra-thin membrane delivers superior waterproofing and breathability. It also prevents snow and rain from penetrating the outer shell of the fabric.
Best Ski Pants for Women : Spyder Women’s Winner Gore-tex Ski Tailored Fit Pants
The Columbia Men’s ski pant is one of the best pants for skiing with waterproof-breathable construction and critical seam sealing. These are slightly insulated pants that offer an ergonomic fit and perfect amount of warmth, protection, and comfort for all the active days in the wet and cold conditions. The outfit is of 100% other fibers and is made in the USA. The pant has snap closure to prevent powder and snow from entering through the ankles into the legs.
These ski pants feature breathable critically seam sealed material with Onmi tech waterproof capabilities. They have insulation and the exterior adjusting waist tabs. Its articulating knees helps with free movement both down the hill and up the hill. The lining of this pant is of 100% polyester material. It features reinforced cuff guard, adjusting leg gaiter and all comfort features for a perfect day out in the snow.
Best Ski Pants for Women : Columbia Women’s Modern Mountain Pant
The Salomon men’s chill out bib pant has a relaxed fitting and has excellent insulation, water-resistance, and stretch comfort. The pant features removable suspenders and thigh pockets for fresh detailing of an ideal backcountry ski wear. It is possible to get these ski pants in both short and long sizes. The pant performs exceptionally well in moderate to thick snow for two or three days at a stretch.
The pants feature an inseam and a majority of its users like it bibs as there is no need for a belt in place. The pant offers excellent venting and insulation. Its pockets are user-friendly and could carry a wallet and other small items. The pant is of relaxed fit and the waist and thigs are a little close to straight or athletic, but there is absolutely no restriction of the movement while skiing. There is no elastic at the waist though and for those who prefer a tighter fit can size down by one or two numbers.
Best Ski Pants for Women : Special Blend Relic Bib | Women’s Snowboard/Ski Pants
The ski pant has been built with the toughness of nails and has the excellent waterproofing and breathability features. It features multiple pockets with hand warmers and zips. There are also back pockets, cargo pocket with tool sleeve for storage. Its mesh lining and I-cool venting system along with crotch gusset for mobility and crossflow venting offer the best ventilation system.
It’s completely tape seams with gore seam tape and anti-scuff cuffs locks out the powder and all other exterior elements. Its twin layer gore-tex plain weave fabric offers waterproof comfort, mesh lining for warmth and shell mapping with taffeta. The product comes with the guarantee to keep the user dry at all times. This is one of the most innovative waterproof products available in the world. Its unique fabric design helps with ultimate breathability, waterproof and windproof protection.
Best Ski Pants for Women : Burton Women’s AK Gore-Tex Summit Snow Pant
The Helly Hansen is one of the proved and the most loved ski pant for all winter sports enthusiasts who enjoy and wish to explore the entire snow mountain. The pant is constructed of breathable and waterproof Helly tech high-performance fabric. It ensures that the skier stays dry and comfortable all season long in the snow mountains. It features the best insulation, it is breathable, has waterproofing and is trusted by skiers all over the world. Its articulating knees and two-way stretch fabric helps the skier with a complete range of motions irrespective of the terrain they are skiing in.
This is the number one apparel for Olympic athletes and backcountry guides and even the ski patrol team. The skiwear from Helly Hansen gains the trust of more than fifty thousand sky professionals all over the world as it helps them to stay warm, dry and protected irrespective of the outside snow conditions. The pant features two side pockets and has two-way mechanical stretch. Its two-ply fabric construction features waterproofing, wind proofing and exceptional breathability.
Best Ski Pants for Women : BALEAF Women’s Hiking Ski Pants
Points To Consider Before Choosing The Best Ski Pant
This is one of the most important feature to look for in a ski pant. Almost all of the ski pants come with certain level of water resistance and waterproofing. This feature is extremely important for those skiing in an area that is knows to have slush or very wet snow. Wet clothes can leech heat from the body and can get uncomfortable on the skin quickly. The waterproof ski pants will have two to three layers of waterproof fabric such as Gore-Tex. The stiffer outer materials will have waterproof capability than the flexible softshell outer fabric.
Apart from the basic waterproof fabric, there will be taped seams, button pockets, waterproof zip, etc., to avoid snow from gathering around these areas. Also, when the snow melts from the body heat, the water will not dip into the inner lining or into the pocket inside.
Some of the skiers expect a number of features in their ski pants starting from O-rings to vents, straps, etc. All of these features are a matter of personal preference and depends on how technical the user wants to get. Some key features that are discussed below help in elongating the life of the point and helps the user to stay warm.
- Gaiters and powder cuffs at the ankle ensure that the snow stays away from the leg even while trampling down the deep powder. The gaiter and the ankle hem fit snugly over the ski boot so that it looks stylish and also protects the legs from the elements.
- The sealed seams or the taped seams help with durability, the mesh vent system helps the skier to warm up or cool as the need arises and its adjusting waist strap helps in easy fit around the base layers.
- Some of the ski pants have flexible loops and knees that helps in connecting the jacket to the ski pants.
- Some of the ski pants come with radio pockets and a reflector to help in picking up radio signals in the event of an avalanche.
The insulated pants feature an outer waterproof shell that is lined with materials that offer additional warmth. These pants are actually very much comfortable and can be either worn on their own without any additional layering. Unlined ski pants or the shell style pants are ideal for skiers riding in variable conditions. Backcountry skiers prefer to use unlined pants as they are less bulky, they are cooler and are also extremely flexible. Beginner skiers who wish to ski in different conditions should opt for an insulation pair of pants with mesh vent pockets.
The tightness and the fit of the ski pants depends on the personal style of the skier. A majority of the skiers prefer to use baggy pants and others will like to have nearly leggings. The most important thing is that, the pants should fit snugly around the waist and should not slide down when one stands and sits. If the pant does not fulfil this, then the skier runs the risk of having a freezing lower back during a chair lift
It is important for the hem of the pants and also the gaiter to fit over the ski boot down to the ankle. If at all the pants bunch up at the top of the boot, then its opening can be quite narrow. A majority of the pants have zippers at the bottom so as to adjust with the girth of the boot.
Best Buyer Guide FAQs for Ski pants
Is ski pants and snowboard pants the same?
A majority of the time, people by mistake purchase the ski pants for snowboarding and vise-verse. The main reason for this is that, both the pants look more or less the same and are sometimes clubbed together is shops as well. The appearance and design of the snowboard pants are attractive and appealing, its colors are lively and eccentric and there are a number of options available in the market as well. Ski pants on the other hand usually don’t have any padding and are not visually appealing as well. But the reality is that, both pants are different and it is better that users choose a particular pant for a particular sporting style.
What are ski pants?
Skiing is all about speed and efficiency and the ski pants have been made to exactly fit that motto. The snowboard pants are generally slimmer and tighter to encourage speed whereas the ski pants feature a more toned-down design that is simple and doesn’t get in the way. The slimmer design of the ski pants allows for more air to come through its ventilation zippers. As skiing doesn’t include harsh movements as that of snowboarding, the ski pants can be tighter and snug in fit.
Are Ski pants waterproof?
All of the winter pants generally have a layer of waterproofing and there is the different thickness of the waterproof layer. It is good to choose a pant depending on the snowboarding condition and the type of pant that one requires. Some of the surroundings have a lot of powdery snow and lot of snowfall under the feet, while others have dry snow and very light snowfall. It is good to choose the material and thickness of the ski pant accordingly.
Why should I wear ski pants?
The ski pants that one buys from the shop is generally the outer layer that will shield the person from moisture that comes from the rain, wind, and snow. It is important to wear a ski pant while enduring the activity as very harsh climates and accidents can scrap a normal piece of fabric but not a durable and highly enduring pair of ski pants.
Buyer’s Guide: How to choose the selection of ski pants?
Buyers have to choose their ski pants based on the following criteria,
- Brand: Brand is an important factor when it comes to ski pants. Though one tries to find the best picks for the lowest price, choosing the best brand of ski pant is obviously important. It is important to choose the best ski pant without sacrificing on the quality.
- Quality: Quality of the ski pant depends on the materials used in the fabric. Even the ski pant that has the best list of fabrics will be of no use if it is not constructed properly. There are a lot of aspects to be considered when it comes to ski pants, insulation, drying ability, comfort, waterproof lining, etc.
- Cost of the pant: it is not possible to shop for a ski pants without looking at its price tag. Some of the costly ski pants have exceptional features such as a waterproof, armored set of ski gear, etc. cheaper variants will have the features accordingly.
- Warmth and comfort: It is not possible to enjoy the snow and the slopes if the legs tremble in the freezing cold. The legs have consistent circulation and heat transfer throughout the sport and it is important to maintain the warmth and the insulation in the lower extremities with the help of the ski pant.
- Breathability: There is obvious difference between staying warm and making the skier to feel that they have been strangled. It is mandatory to choose a ski pant that is of breathable material so as to enjoy hours of comfort in the snow.
- Waterproofness: Waterproofing is an important feature of a ski pant. The pant should have at least three layers beneath the insulation somewhere at the center of the construction of the ski pants.
- Style: There is no hard rule that one has to look like a dork when they are on the slopes. Though the main intention of the ski pant is to protect the skier from the freezing cold, there is no need to rule the style compliments of the attire. All of our listed ski pants not only feel good but also looks great as well.
All of the ski pants recommended here have excellent features and trademarks and have excellent designs and functions. We hope our buying guide will help you in picking up the best ski pant for all your skiing endeavors.